cgguernseyPhone 01481 728 987

Existing Customers

Here are some simple tips for existing clients with current policies with us.

Secondly, your policy number should look like this 08-CLTX01 the number at the front gives the branch and the second part is a policy number unique to you with four letters followed by two numbers.

If you have a policy number which looks like L/ROM/00001 or other references similar to this format the ROM reference refers to the Romford office, EDN refers to Edinburgh and any WST refers to Westminster.

At any point if you wish to speak to a human, you can always call the head office switchboard on; 01708 97 1000.

For adjustments or enquiries on motor trade policies at head office please call 01708 982 661.

Or for Guernsey 01481 728 987
Peterborough 01733 569555

Find out how to:

  • Make Changes to Your Policy
  • Renew
  • Make a Complaint
  • Make a Claim
  • Get Documents

Or if you bought your policy online then you can login to manage your policy online by logging in using the form to the right. If you are not sure just check whether your policy number begins with “WP/”- if it does then you can login.

Road traffic accident:

To report your motor claim online please click here.

If you have been involved in a road traffic accident or incident call us immediately on 0333 313 3131 open 24 hours.

Breakdown Assistance:

Call 0800 132450 open 24 hours


Clegg Gifford’s claims department will guide you through the claims process from first notification through to settlement.

We handle claims made against your policy as well as any claim you may make against a Third Party’s policy. You will find our claims handlers to be helpful, supportive and knowledgeable, and we will endeavour to provide you with the best claims service we can.

Our claims department handles claims for the various products we offer, and will notify insurers where appropriate. However informing Clegg Gifford does not detract from your duty to make insurers aware of the loss where they have stipulated that you do so, this is predominantly the case in some commercial insurance products.

Failure to notify us may result in an increased excess and any incurred claims costs maybe recovered against yourself. The cost of claims have increased dramatically in recent years and the sooner we are notified the greater the potential for bringing down the cost. Even if the accident has resulted in no damage being caused, we still require that we are informed and we remind clients that just because a third party say they will not claim, in our experience they invariably do.

  • Motor Claims: Please call 0333 313 3131  we operate a 24/7 call centre for the notification of claims and one of our handlers will take you through the claims notification process – which can all be completed over the phone.
  • Alternatively you can email our team on (however please not that in reporting a claim for the first time, for consistency of administration we require you to call 0333 313 3131 in order to register it on our systems and ensure it is directed through to the correct insurer.
  • Non-motor claims (household, commercial & marine): To aid in the efficient handling of your claim from the outset, please can you email the team in the first instance at, providing:
    • Your policy number,
    • Name or company name of the insurance policy
    • A brief commentary or description of the claim
    • Incident date
    • Insurer concerned.
  • This will enable the team to prepare the notification documents & they will then contact you to take you through the process and help you through the claims process.
  • For any urgent claims handling enquiries, please contact the office on 01481 728987


We would be delighted to accommodate prospective changes you wish to make to your policy.

Please contact us on our 728987 or by email at

During office hours you can pop into our office at Admiral Park and we can make changes to your policy in person.

For some buy-online products; please review your literature as insurers may wish to accommodate changes via direct contact. For clarification this  includes buy online household insurance products and travel insurance. If in doubt please call.

Hopefully you will have had your renewal invitation through the post or via email. If not – please do tell us.
To renew a policy with us please contact us on 728987 and we can take renewal instructions over the phone or via email to:
It is important that you carefully check your renewal information and documentation. Renewals are prepared either by us, or by insurers based on last years risk details and your expiring policy. You need to notify us of any changes at renewal.

Different policies may have a different cancellation procedures, terms and conditions and it depends on which insurer underwrites your policy.

Your cancellation rights and the procedures for doing so should be outlined on your insurance documentation which will have been issued when you purchased your policy.

We aim to provide the highest service standards at all times however, if for any reason you are not satisfied, we would like to hear from you.

The procedure which follows has been put in place to ensure that your concerns are dealt with promptly and fairly. Also they are designed to comply with the regulations surrounding complaints handling.

Should you wish to make a complaint, then please contact the office on 728987 or email us at

There are different avenues and stages to the complaints process, which ultimately can result in referral to the Channel Islands Financial Service Ombudsman.

How to make a complaint

If you are insured with us via a broker/adviser/agent/appointed representative your first point of contact should be your broker/adviser/agent/appointed representative who will take up your complaint on your behalf with us.

If you are insured with us “direct” your first point of contact should be:

Compliance Department
7 Eastern Road

Telephone: 01708 729 500

Please remember to include your name, the name of the policyholder as shown on the current policy schedule and the policy and/or claim numbers in all communications.

Verbal complaints

Should you telephone us to make a complaint; we will aim to resolve the complaint to your satisfaction within three business days (business days are Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays). If we are unable to resolve the complaint within this time period, the matter will be passed to the Compliance Department, who will undertake an impartial review. Once a decision has been made, we will issue details of this in the form of a final response letter. Please note that a final response letter will be issued within 8 weeks of the date of your verbal complaint.

Written complaints

Should you communicate your complaint in writing, we will upon receipt:

  • Acknowledge the complaint within 5 business days.
  • Issue a final response letter within 8 weeks.

If we are unable to issue a final response letter within 8 weeks we will contact you to give reasons for the delay and indicate when we expect to issue a final response letter.

Final response letter

This will summarise the complaint, detail our findings and explain the decision we have made.

If you remain dissatisfied

If you have not received a final response within 8 weeks of making the complaint, or are unhappy with the decision, you can ask the Financial Ombudsman Service to review the matter. They can be contacted as follows:

Post: Channel Islands Financial Ombudsman Service
Exchange Tower,
Harbour Exchange Square,
E14 9SR

Telephone from landline: 0800 023 4567.
Telephone from mobile: 0300 123 9123.



Alternatively, if you do not want to contact the Financial Ombudsman Service direct, you may submit details of your complaint via the European Online Dispute (EOD) platform. The EOD platform’s website address is as follows:


Lloyd’s Complaints

If your insurance is placed with Lloyd’s you may ask the Complaints department at Lloyd’s to review your case. Their details are as follows:

Complaints Department
One Lime Street
Telephone: 020 7327 5693

If you are still not satisfied after contacting Lloyd’s you can refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). See above for contact details.

If you’re calling about a specialist enquiry or wish to speak to a member of the management team then please contact our  office on 728987.
Alternatively you can email on

Important Note: 

If the United Kingdom(UK) exits the European Union(EU) without a deal driving in Europe will likely require the issue of a Green Card.

A Green card is an international certificate of insurance which provides confirmation insurance is in force for driving in the EU.

After the date of any European Union exit, without a deal in place, it is likely that any customer who wishes to drive a vehicle in the EU will be required to carry a green card with them. Customers cannot take an electronic copy with them.

If a green card is required for any specified vehicle for social domestic and pleasure use this can be issued by us.

We will require a minimum notice period of 14 days to guarantee that the document can be provided in sufficient time.

We will not charge for this cover in the EEA, Andorra, Switzerland and Serbia.

To request a green card please use the email address of

The email must show the policy number; the dates of cover the green card is required for and the countries to be visited

For business use or for use in other green card countries the request should be sent via the current adjustment process for this to be considered.